Kenneth Roger Smith
Apr. 14, 1944 - Oct. 7, 2007
Ken Smith, retired UC Foundation Professor of English, authored two collections of stories, Decoys and Angels and Others. His stories appeared in many magazines, including The Atlantic, Puerto del Sol, TriQuarterly,and Crazyhorse. He won fellowships from the Arizona and Kentucky State Arts Councils and from the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, as well as a prestigious PEN Syndicated Fiction Award. Ken served as a UTC coordinator of the Meacham Writers' Conference until his retirement in 2006.
After deteriorating health, Ken Smith began phased retirement in the fall of 2006 after 20 years teaching at the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga. On October 6, 2006, Ken and his wife Madalyn were recognized at the Meacham for their long service. Ken Smith passed away October 7, 2007. The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga English Department has established the Kenneth Smith Fiction prize, an annual award for an outstanding UTC student writer. Those wishing to contribute should contact the UTC Development Office. The Meacham also has established the Ken Smith Meacham Writing Awards, where the visiting writers recognize the best participant fiction, poetry, and creative non-fiction submitted for review for each Meacham Writers' Workshop.
- "Here and There, October 7, 8:18 PM" - elegy by Richard Jackson
- "21 Gun Salute" - elegy by Earl Braggs
- Ken Smith's Military Service
- Jay Mouton's Chattanoogan interview
- Ken and Madalyn Smith receive Meacham Service Award, October 6, 2006
- October 26, 2007, Jackson reading poem followed by remarks from Ken's wife, Madalyn Smith prior to awarding the first Ken Smith Memorial Awards for Fiction, Poetry, and Creative Nonfiction
- Saturday, April 1, 2006, Ken Smith's final reading at the Meacham Writers' Workshop. Ken talks briefly about entering retirement and then reads from his novella Angels.
- Meacham Video Series
- Meacham Conversations
- Past Guests
- Ken Smith Memorial
- Ken Smith Awards
- Meacham Surveys
- Site Map
Subscribe to Podcasts/Vodcasts
This site is best viewed with Internet Explorer at 1024x768 resolution or higher.
Contact Webmaster for questions/notifications of claimed infringement regarding the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Chattanooga State Community College is a Tennessee Board of Regents Institution and an EOE/AA Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA employer
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is an EEO/affirmative action/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADEA/ADA institution.
This web page has links to resources which are not maintained by the MeachamWriters. The Meacham Writers' Workshop is not responsible for controlling either access to these web sites or changes to the content of these sites. These web sites were originally identified as having valuable and appropriate content related to the aims of the Meacham Writers' Workshop. Please notify the webmaster of inactive, broken, or changed links.