Sybil Baker teaches creative writing and humanities in the interdisciplinary honors program. She is the author of The Life Plan, Talismans, and Into This World, which received an Eric Hoffer Award Honorable Mention, and was a finalist for Foreword’s Best Book of the Year Award. She frequently teaches at Yale Writers’ Conference and taught in City University of Hong Kong’s MFA program. She was a featured writer at the American Writers’ Festival in Singapore, and was a Visiting Professor at Middle Eastern Technical University in North Cyprus. She has received Outstanding Teacher and Creative Scholarship Awards from UTC’s College of Arts and Sciences. She was awarded two MakeWork Artist Grants and a 2017 Individual Artist’s Fellowship from the Tennessee Arts Commission. She is Fiction Editor at Drunken Boat. Immigrant Essays and While You Were Gone (a novel) are forthcoming from C&R Press.
For more information about Sybil Baker,
- See her home page, which also lists reviews of her works
- See her blog An Ex-expatriate's Musings on Writing, Teaching, and Travel
- He short story "The Expo" at Guernica
- Read her flash fiction piece "Agamemnon’s Wife Speaks From Hades" at MatterPress
- Read "Picturing Snakes" at Slow Trains
- Read "Talismans" at Flinders University
- Read the short story "The Place People Play" at 3 a.m. magazine.
- Read her essay "In Defense of Telling" published in Segue online literary journal
- Listen to an interview and reading on the Writers Show with Joan Hetzler
- See Sybil Baker discussing and reading from Talismans at Huffington Post
- Read an interview "10 Questions for Humor Novelist Sybil Baker" at Ask Wendy--The Query Queen
- Read "Something Thin in Her Pocket," review by Jodi Paloni of Baker's collection Talismans at Contrary Magazine
- Read "Women Write Travel – Some Thoughts by Sybil Baker," guest blog posting by Sybil for Women Travel the World
- Read "From West to East, and From East to West," a conversation about writing with novelist Xu Xi at Author Talk
- See the MFA program at City University of Hong Kong
- Visit the C&R Press site for information on Talismans
- See below the video book trailer for The Life Plan
- Saturday, March 5, 2016
- Friday, October 23, 2015
- Thursday, October 24, 2013
- Saturday, March 23, 2013
- Saturday, March 31, 2012
- Saturday, October 29, 2011
- Friday, March 25, 2011
- Thursday, October 28, 2010
- Thursday, March 25, 2010
- Wednesday, March 24, 2010
- Saturday, October 31, 2009
- Thursday, March 19, 2009
- Thursday, October 23, 2008
- Friday, February 29, 2008
- Friday, October 26, 2007
- Meacham Video Series
- Meacham Conversations
- Past Guests
- Ken Smith Memorial
- Ken Smith Awards
- Meacham Surveys
- Site Map
Subscribe to Podcasts/Vodcasts
This site is best viewed with Internet Explorer at 1024x768 resolution or higher.
Contact Webmaster for questions/notifications of claimed infringement regarding the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Chattanooga State Community College is a Tennessee Board of Regents Institution and an EOE/AA Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA employer
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is an EEO/affirmative action/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADEA/ADA institution.
This web page has links to resources which are not maintained by the MeachamWriters. The Meacham Writers' Workshop is not responsible for controlling either access to these web sites or changes to the content of these sites. These web sites were originally identified as having valuable and appropriate content related to the aims of the Meacham Writers' Workshop. Please notify the webmaster of inactive, broken, or changed links.